Tuesday 17 September 2013

Genre

How can genre aid you in relation to your brief?


Genre is a key concept in the area of media studies as it forms a relationship between the industry and the audience. My brief is to create the titles and opening to a new fiction film to last maximum of two minutes. One way that genre can help me in relation to this is by giving me an idea of what the audience will be expecting from the film opening. For example, if I decide to do a horror film, they would probably expect it to set in a dark place such as an old house or in a grave yard. The characters that the audience would most likely to expect to see in it would be a young child, a family or some sort of devil. However, as time has changed, peoples expectations of genre has also changed, so instead of seeing normal people or families in a horror film, people used to expect to see fictional characters such as vampires or monsters. The way genre can give the audience expectations helps me by giving me something to work towards so I can appeal to the audience by giving them what they want to see. Another way genre can aid me when creating my film opening is that genre is not just one thing, it is many. For example, there are hybrid genre, which is when two or more genres have been mixed up together, such as romantic-comedies or fantasy-thrillers. another type of genre is sub genres which are genres inside main genres. For example, if you have a thriller it could be a psychological thriller. the way in which genre helps me when creating my film opening is by giving me lots of choices of what genre I could choose, and doesn't limit me to just one. by doing a hybrid it is more likely it would appeal to a wider audience.  

No comments:

Post a Comment